Thursday, January 29, 2009

I got my handphone back!

It's been 4 months since I lost it.

Thank God it was found within like a few hours from the time I lost it. If not, I would be worried sick. That's the problem with smartphones. So, don't put sensitive data in your phones, otherwise password protect the data.

The story goes like this. I was doing fieldwork one day and was running about from point to point. During lunch break, I left my phone at the eating place. I didn't realise that until the end of the work day. It was finally confirmed lost when the police called me. At first, I thought it was the "thief" trying to be funny and pretending to be the police. So I gave the policeman a hard time. But after awhile, I think it really was the police and begin to cooperate.

I was told that my phone was found on someone. They have passed the case on to the Inspector and some investigation was to be carried out. I called the police back one week later, but I still couldn't get back my phone as the investigation was still on the way. Then, I went for honeymoon, and the police couldn't find me.

I received a letter after I returned asking me to go down to the police station to make a statement. I thought I could get my phone back after that...but again, it was not so. Apparently, the statement is so that my phone would become "Exhibit A" in a court case. What happened was that the person who took my phone tried to sell it, and somehow was caught, and the police wanted to charge the person, hence a court case.

Anyway, then Thanksgiving came, Christmas came, 2009 came, and still no news of my phone. I was going to write it off as lost, and have been shopping for a replacement. Though I can't find anything, 'cuz I wasn't willing to spend alot of money, and wanted touchscreen, and Windows Mobile and WIFI...blah blah...the specs did not match the budget.

Then, surprise surprise, on CNY first day, the police called me and told me I could FINALLY collect back my phone, and the person was not charged but given a letter of warning. All well's that ends well.

Glad to have my phone back, and so, here ends the days of my phone being "Exhibit A".

No comments: